Rant & Rave

Just trying to balance out the good & evil in the world while looking out for the little guy!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Power to the people!

The 21 hour work week.
I've always questioned why we, as a society, needed to work 5 days a week just to get a measly 2 days off. Who made this rule? Shouldn't these scales be somehow better balanced? Who's responsible for stickin' it to the working man? Whew deep calming breath. Sorry 'bout that I tend to get fired up sometimes.
I know that personally I work Monday thru Friday. Saturday is pretty hectic because of things that did not get done during the week. Then Sunday is spent getting ready for Monday again! What a rat race! I NEED MORE DOWN TIME! This is why I'm captivated by the idea of converting to a 21 hour work week. Recently I read an interesting article about this notion. Check it out. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-case-for-a-21-hour-work-week.html


First off, I will not pretend to understand exactly how the redistribution of wealth thing works. I do love the idea of having more free time to do whatever my little heart desires with the added bonus of lowering my overall consumption of products. I'm happy and the Earth is happy. Win-win situation.
The article does say that ideally people would be working less hours but with higher pay. Yay! And that less money should also be spent on material objects with a push towards recycle/reduce/reuse. Sign me up! I'm already pretty darn frugal. But, this may prove to be difficult with our societies over-the-top 'champagne wishes on a beer budget.' Need an example? Look at the number of people who took on HUGE morgage payments without the means to pay for it. Say hello to Foreclosure.

Here's another article that I found. Go ahead, go read it. I'll wait for you. http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/transition-21-hour-week.htm Pretty cool huh? Everyone just needs to get over their buy buy buy fetish. Only then can we hope to put an end to this vicious circle of working more than relaxing. Power to the people!

p.s. I also want year round school with 4 two-week breaks :) 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment